A Reading List: Prose Stylists
I received terrific responses to my call for a list of notable women prose sentence-makers. It’s always striking with reading lists how pantheons differ and one person’s favorites are another’s also-rans or never heard-ofs. It’s strange to me to think how no one could hope to read all the books published in even a single year; and the extent to which anyone’s sense of a larger cultural tradition, even one’s own, is necessarily fragmentary. Which is why, as vapid as they can be, I do like reading lists: most bring to mind something unforeseen.
After the jump, the compiled list (it’s pretty long for Tumblr dashboards), alphabetized by author, a few with stories or books that to me stood out from the writer’s body of work, or that I find myself bearing in mind when I write (please add yours!). I also marked with an asterisk writers that others suggested whom I haven’t read—the beginning of a much longer list.
pennyofthewild said: Question! What exactly is the Skype chat for?
Er, well…. half the BPS mods are already online chatting about KnB and we thought the more the merrier?
(no really that is the ACTUAL PURPOSE OF THE CHAT)
(you’re welcome to join and help increase our baseline levels of productivity and meaning though, goodness knows we could use more goal-directed discussion hahaha)
Obscure Color Words
- albicant: whitish; becoming white
- amaranthine: immortal; undying; deep purple-red colour
- aubergine: eggplant; a dark purple colour
- azure: light or sky blue; the heraldic colour blue
- celadon: pale green; pale green glazed pottery
- cerulean: sky-blue; dark blue; sea-green
- chartreuse: yellow-green colour
- cinnabar: red crystalline mercuric sulfide pigment; deep red or scarlet colour
- citrine: dark greenish-yellow
- eburnean: of or like ivory; ivory-coloured
- erythraean: reddish colour
- flavescent: yellowish or turning yellow
- greige: of a grey-beige colour
- haematic: blood coloured
- heliotrope: purplish hue; purplish-flowered plant; ancient sundial; signalling mirror
- hoary: pale silver-grey colour; grey with age
- isabelline: greyish yellow
- jacinthe: orange colour
- kermes: brilliant red colour; a red dye derived from insects
- lovat: grey-green; blue-green
- madder: red dye made from brazil wood; a reddish or red-orange colour
- mauve: light bluish purple
- mazarine: rich blue or reddish-blue colour
- russet: reddish brown
- sable: black; dark; of a black colour in heraldry
- saffron: orange-yellow
- sarcoline: flesh-coloured
- smaragdine: emerald green
- tilleul: pale yellowish-green
- titian: red-gold, reddish brown
- vermilion: bright red
- virid: green
- viridian: chrome green
- xanthic: yellow
- zinnober: chrome green
Okay guys it actually DIDN’T OCCUR TO ME THAT PEOPLE MIGHT THINK TO WORKAROUND THE NEW MATERIAL RULE BUT EVEN THOUGH YOU’RE JOKING (I….THINK…..) LET ME STATE THIS STRAIGHT UP. (unofficially)
1. As you can see we are deluged in submissions and even though there are nine of us we cannot WATCH ALL OF FANDOM (although some of us try very hard.)
2. We may or may not decide to run audits on the submissions to make sure that the ‘new material’ and ‘do not reblog your own work’ rules are complied with. We may only run random audits, although in that case, people who seem to be writing at apparent superhuman speed are probably more likely to be audited than others.
3. Independent parties may or may not decide to report any breaking of rules to us.
4. Now, it is entirely possible that 2 and 3 will not come to pass and you will be totally safe. However, let’s say they DO come to pass. Reblogs are not considered a big deal, they will be handled as per this post.
The submitting of ‘old material’ will be taken more seriously, as I do feel that people who participate in Character Battle should do so in good faith. We have not yet made an official decision on what we would do if that eventuality arises,but it would certainly involve disqualification of the entry in question.
(to be honest I have faith in fandom that this eventuality won’t arise - most fans I know are lovely people who genuinely want to have fun and from what I’ve seen most of the currently super-active character battle factions are all playing for the pure and honest joy of pulverising the competition into dust in the fairest and most Hanamiyaesque way possible.)
6. ‘New material’ means material that has not previously been posted to a public Tumblr, blog, LJ, DW, archive, or other public online space. (Material that has only previously been posted to say, a friends-lock or password-lock journal is more ambiguous, and would depend on whether you happened to have, say, 300 friends added to that journal. Nevertheless if the fic/art has only previously existed under lock the chances of us being aware it previously existed are low so you’re pretty safe.)